Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Road rash and cute pics

I fell on Saturday and this is what I did to my daughter: I was holding her and walking to the car. I took a step off our porch steps and stepped halfway on the cement and halfway on the grass where there just happened to be a big hole. So we were catapulted forward and I didn't even have any time to try and recover my footing. We face planted it. I was holding her on my hip and I banged up my left elbow and knee pretty bad trying to stop her from slamming into the cement. Well her arm was underneath her, trying to save herself since Mommy isn't much help and she rubbed her skin off. It was the saddest thing and I almost started crying seeing her so sad and hurt. Now if you ask her about her owie, she holds her arm out and points to it and says "owie" and gets a pout on her face.


The baby is fine, it was kicking right after it happened and has been happily moving around since then, but I was pretty shaken up. My adrenaline got going so fast that when I was trying to clean her up afterwards, my legs were bouncing her up and down on my lap. Oh yeah, I managed to get the right half of me covered in mud and grass stains from my right side falling on the grass after 2 days of rain. So we were pretty messy and scared, but we managed to get cleaned up and go do our grocery shopping like we had planned.

Here are some more cute pics of Isabel. She was patient enough to let me try something new with her hair. I think her bangs are too thick, so I have been wanting to grow them out. I don't know if I will succeed, but I like having the hair out of her face. When she gets her hair all done for the day, she likes to look in the mirror and smile at the cute little girl she sees. Sometimes she will even stand in the bathroom sink and kiss the girl in the mirror.
This little girl LOVES books. We went to the library last week and got a bunch of books for her. She had lots of fun there. She would get a book of the shelf and go over to the couch and look through it. Then she would grab another and keep looking at them. It is so fun to watch her when she really concentrates on what she is looking at. Sometimes she will sit still and let me read a book to her, and other times, I can't even start reading a page before she wants to turn it to see what is on the next page. I hope this love of books continues as she grows up. For now, I think we will make the trip to the library a regular activity. Plus, I got to check out a book and I actually found the time to read it all the way through (great book, I love that Mary Higgins Clark). Now I just need to be that dedicated to reading the Book of Mormon.
Notice she wore two outfits in one day. This is because we had a little accident while running errands. She gagged on some food while we were finishing up her lunch in the stroller before we went to a few stores at the mall and she threw up her whole lunch! It got all over her clothes and the stroller. So we had to strip her down to her diaper and take her to the bathroom the cleanup. I was just going to go home, but with gas prices so high, I knew we needed to make our trip count. So what did I do, I just went and spent money and got her a new outfit!:) She needed another pair of pants for winter anyways. I did get some funny looks walking from one end of the mall down to Target. I think people thought I was a crazy mom to let my kid hang out in her diaper at the mall. I felt pretty bad, but I am sure one day I can laugh about it!


7 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm glad everyone survived the fall. That can be so scary, especially when you are pregnant. No contractions? I hope not.

We can't wait to see you guys, and yes, we will have to watch the movie sometime when I am at mom's for a visit or you could come over here. We plan on spending a lot of time with you guys when you are here. I hope you're ready for that. :)

Ben and Jen Bailey said...

Hey Guys! That is too bad about the road rash. I am glad that you are both (and fetus too) alright. I fell with little Davis when he was a month old. It is so sad. We are excited to see you guys. Give Isabel a hug for us.

Anonymous said...

oh poor thing! for both of you. Glad everyone (izzy mommy and small baby in belly) are fine!

The Hodsons said...

I'm glad that every one made out ok with only minor scrapes. Oh, and I absolutley love her ringlets...ps Alex, Brindy, Anna and I discussed that next time you're in Utah, if it works with your schedule, we all want to drive down to Ephraim to see you guys! So, for sure call us.

Renzello said...

Oh, that looks so sad. I am glad you are okay. I love reading about Isabel. You are such a good mom!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I am glad that you guys are all okay. That could have been scary, poor Isabel and her scrape. Also her hair is adorable in those little pigtails and I love the last pic of you and her. so cute!

The Larsen Gang said...

Hey Manders!
I fell once when trevin was about 1yrs. old. I was coming back from getting the mail holding him and tripped over Corissa'a trike. I managed to quickly switch him to my side that didn't hit the pavement. He came out just fine, a little scared, but no cuts or bruises. Me on the other hand am still feeling the reprocutions of that fall today. My shoulder and hip are a little messed up. Poor little Isabel and mommy too. I imagine it freaked you out. Very cute chair. We have a blues clues chair she can sit in when she comes to visit. And don't worry about Isabel streaking through the mall. You will laugh at it later. Fun memories. Can't wait to see you in a little bit.
Love ya Sis!! Carrie