Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend

David got back from Utah on Friday night, so we still had Saturday and Sunday to spend together. We had so much fun. On Saturday we went to this lake out in West Omaha and went crappie fishing. Isabel loves fishing and David couldn't get the pole in the water fast enough for her. We stopped at Cabela's and bought live minnows and she thought that was pretty cool. David and Isabel caught 4 fish, let one go because it wasn't big enough and had 3 more that got off the hook right before we reeled them in. It was great to be out as a family enjoying nature and gets me really excited to go camping. David brought the fish home and fileted them out and we had them for dinner. i wasn't expecting them to be good, but man they were great! They were so delicate and just fell apart in your mouth. We battered them up and fried them and then made some onion rings and mozzerella sticks. David is always coming up with fun things for us to do! What a sweetheart!


Brigham and I sat in the chair and supervised the fishing.
Look at these two, I think it is so cute to watch them doing stuff together. David is so patient with her and is always teaching her things and letting her help do stuff.
On Mother's Day, David cooked us a wonderful sunday Pork Roast lunch and had strawberry cheesecake for me. He let me take a nap, which never happens because one child is always awake at any given time. So I got a little rest which felt nice. After our nap, we packed up our cute little minivan (or the spaceship as one of our friends affectionately calls it) and headed up to try mushroom hunting again. We found some this time!
The grass in the woods was so tall and Isabel had fun wading through it. I kept hearing her talking about everything (I don't know half of the stuff she was saying, but it was so cute to hear her narrating her little adventure).
David spotted the first mushroom and I was so surprised at how big it was. Supposedly they are this big delicacy out here. They look so weird and I was not at all interested in eating one, but it was like a treasure hunt to find them. We found 5 really big ones.

Yum! They are the weirdest looking things, they look like a sponge, not at all appealing to me!

Here is our wonderful chef (he would not make a normal face for me....wait a minute, this is normal!) He battered them up and fried them in butter. David says they are some of the best things he has eaten. I will take his word for it. I did try a tiny piece of it...I liked the batter, I will say that:). We had a great weekend, and I spent a wonderful Mother's Day with my 3 favorite people! We are so grateful for our mothers, they are both amazing women!

1 comments:

The Hodsons said...

Scary looking mushrooms...You guys are braver then me. I would be scared of getting a poisonous mushroom. Oh, and I love Isabel's sunglasses!!